whether you want to gain or lose weight the most important process you need to know and make to structure your meal plan is counting your macros, but what macros are exactly.
Macros are the Macronutrients, the three categories of macronutrients are carbohydrates, fat, and protein. The caloric combination of the macros is where that mysterious total number of calories comes from. Here’s the breakdown:
- 1 gram of carbohydrates = 4 calories
- 1 gram of fat = 9 calories
- 1 gram of protein = 4 calories
So it’s not about how many calories are in your food, but what kind of calories are in your food. Even if you set a strict calorie limit and stick to it, you could be eating total garbage and not be getting the nutrients you need.
Decide whether you want to increase your metabolism, lose fat, or build muscle.
- Boost Metabolism and/or Build Muscle: 40 percent protein, 35 percent carbohydrates, 25 percent fat
- Lose Fat: 45 percent protein, 35 percent carbohydrates, 20 percent fat
There are many free online websites to calculate your needed calories, you can use perhaps the following Calorie Calculator.
Let’s get social: